PPSHI offers families and school staff an evening event focused on the transition from elementary school. These events provide an opportunity to discuss important issues around the transition from elementary to middle or intermediate school. The evening includes a PPSHI presentation by an educational psychologist professor on the developmental changes in adolescence. School staff and parent questions on topics such as:
- “Wondering what to expect?”
- Middle-Intermediate School Culture
- Education Philosophy
- Parent Concerns
- School Programs
We’ve held Transition nights across the State since 2012
for over 14 schools with over 600 participants!
“PPHI helped us meet our goal for Kailua Intermediate to be a viable first choice for middle school education for families in our school district. This organization is transforming schools by building collective knowledge about the positive impact of public education through strong family partnerships. We’ve worked with PPHI to showcase our school to prospective parents while providing this role group with skills, tools, and ideas on topics related to successful transitions, understanding the teen years, and the science of the adolescent brain.”
-Kailua Intermediate School, Principal Lisa DeLong
Our Presentation – What’s happening to my kid?
- Sign-in & refreshments (for Title 1 Schools under our Gear Up Grant)
- 1,000 Family Voices – We are looking for 1,000 parent & family voices to band together to improve education for your child and all Hawai’i’s keiki!
Help PPSHI by answering the 3 questions on the card and enter in our raffle!
- Get to know each other – talk story!
- Welcome, PPSHI and School Staff introductions
- What’s happening to my kid?
A presentation on the changes in adolescence – Lois Yamauchi
- What this means for families, tips for success, Q & A
- Intermediate school: what’s different and what to expect – Principal
- Supporting your child, how to be involved, upcoming events – PCNC/Other
- Your questions, concerns and ideas!
7:15 – 7:30 pm