HSTA’s five-year plan to end the statewide teacher shortage crisis. The HSTA’s wide-ranging plans include:
(click image to watch HSTA President Corey Rosenlee review the proposals)
- Recruiting community supporters to fund college tuition for students who commit to teaching in Hawaii’s public schools for three to five years,
- Asking lawmakers to expand the “Grow Our Own Teachers” initiative which pays for tuition for educational assistants and others interested in studying to become teachers,
- Working with developers to create dedicated teacher housing,
- Working with financial companies to create loan products for HSTA members that put homeownership within reach, and
- Expanding HSTA’s professional development courses and offer them free for members starting in Spring 2020.